Hawaii's Medical Marijuana Card Registration Resource
Are CBD Oils Legal?
April 30, 2017
You've heard about their ability to calm seizures. Dr. Sanjay Gupta even reported on their medical benefit. When combing through the many online companies that sell CBD oils though often is the phrase that it is legal in all 50 united states. The DEA (Drug Enforcement Agency) disagrees. According to High Times article on this topic:
"In other words, according to the legal definition, these things are “marihuana:”
1. Live cannabis plants;
2. Dead cannabis plants;
3. Cannabis seeds;
4. Cannabis resin from any part of the plant;
5. Anything you derive from the plant;
6. Anything you derive from cannabis seeds;
7. Anything you derive from cannabis resin.
But, according to the legal definition, these things are the exceptions that are not “marihuana:”
8. Mature cannabis stalks;
9. Fiber from cannabis stalks;
10. Oil made from cannabis seeds;
11. Cake (flour) made from cannabis seeds;
12. Anything you derive from cannabis stalks, except resin;
13. Anything you derive from fiber from cannabis stalks;
14. Anything you derive from oil from cannabis seeds;
15. Anything you derive from cake (flour) from cannabis seeds;
16. Seeds that are incapable of germination."
So while the "gray area" concept of seeds and CBD's continues to be spread it seems that the DEA see's it as black and white unfortunately.